Sunday, February 21, 2010

Missing in Action

Greetings and salutations, my wonderful readers (the few of you that there are). It's a Sunday afternoon and I have a paper to write and a novel to finish reading, but I thought it would be a good idea to take a little break and scrawl down an update for the old blog.

To my great sadness, school has been strangling my writing life lately. When I made the switch to Creative Writing from Political Science, I knew, deep down, that I would be doing a TON of reading and writing, and that it might affect my editing of my actual novel. However, it felt like the right thing to do, and I'm still convinced that it was, even if I rue the decision at times like these.

So, in short, I have been having to do so much reading and writing lately that it isn't even funny. The last time I sat down to work on my novel was over a week ago. Though I've been absolutely detesting editing lately, I miss it more than I ever thought I would. I can't wait to get back to writing--unfortunately, I have to wait a few days.

The blog has been neglected due to my school work as well, but as soon as I get the chance I'm going to post my next post, which will deal with editing since that's the journey I'm currently on. Hopefully that will be sometime next week.

And, for fun, here's an excerpt from my novel:

The farewell glory of the California sun enveloped my mother and me, cascading down upon us as it continued its inevitable descent into the victorious, swallowing Pacific. I breathed in deeply, savoring the nautical air and the salty fragrance of the water, and took in my surroundings: the shadowy silhouettes of the palm trees; the trail of colors stretching across the sky and reflecting upon the water; the sun inching into oblivion as it exiled itself to a world that existed beyond the horizon. Children laughed and shrieked as they played in the waves, and the gulls cawed in sharp contrast. I sighed as I was stabbed with the premature pangs of nostalgia. I knew it would be a considerable amount of time before I would be provided with the chance to gaze upon this landscape again.

Annnd I'm going to leave on that note, while I fantasize about being in California right now. Keep an eye out for the next post!

No comments:

Post a Comment